A cake for when you want cake now – well in 45 minutes anyway.
This recipe is adapted from Easy Pineapple Cake at Allrecipes.com. I added cinnamon because I like spiced cakes. And I reckon it would also work with other tinned fruit such as apples or plums – I’ll let you know when I try them out.
Initially I wasn’t sure about the cake as it has no oil, no milk and no butter. But it actually turned out really well. It’s a sticky moist cake that’s not too sweet – so you can have more than one piece…
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can crushed pineapple with juice
- Sift flour and baking soda into a bowl. Mix in sugar and cinnamon. Make a well in the centre.
- Mix wet ingredients together, to break up the eggs. Pour into dry ingredients, and mix until just combined.
- Pour into a greased and floured ring tin.
- Bake at 180C for 45 minutes until cooked.
The original recipe says to put cream cheese icing on it, but it’s pretty nice on its own with a cup of tea. I’ll just stop typing and get back to my crochet shall I?