This is a cheat’s paella, but nevermind as a busy parent can’t complain if it’s easy and tasty!
If you haven’t heard, you can get paella seasoning in sachets. Use half of that (or to taste), a can of roasted garlic and onion tomatoes, arborio rice, water, and shellfish (and fish if you like) and you have a delicious dinner.
If you need some (rough) guidance:
- Boil some water in a jug, to use later.
- Heat oil in a paella pan, or large fry pan. Add whole prawns to the hot pan and half-cook them (this gets some flavour out of the prawns and into the pan). Take prawns out and set aside.
- Pour a tin of tomatoes (we used a tin of onion and roasted garlic flavoured tomatoes to skip having to fry these up first!) and cook for a couple minutes.
- Add about 1-2 cups of arborio rice and the paella seasoning, and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in some boiling water to loosen the rice.
- Arrange fish and shellfish into the rice.
- Turn the heat down low and simmer until everything is cooked. (We use a diffuser on the element to help distribute the heat and keep it low.)