Ahh, the only redeeming thing about winter is the soups.
Cabbage with a smoky sausage like rookworst makes for a fantastic soup. With some potato and beans, you have a one pot meal. Another delicious, cheap and easy option for a cold and hungry bunch.
Something I might try next time is maybe some buttery toasted breadcrumbs to go on top. Yes, I think I will try that next time.
Cabbage and bockwurst soup
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 bockwurst sausage (or other smoked sausage), sliced
- 1 large potato, diced
- half a cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained
- black pepper to season
- Heat up a little oil in a soup pot and brown the onions and sausage for a few minutes.
- Add the garlic and potatoes and cook for another minute.
- Add the cabbage and stock, cover and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer with the lid on for about 20 minutes until potatoes are cooked.
- Add the beans and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Season with pepper then serve. Garnish with parmesan if you like.
Adapted from 101 Cookbooks’ Rustic cabbage soup recipe.